About this organization
Tanzania Education Corp (TEC), a Boston-based NGO, has supported the Tumaini Schools in northern Tanzania since 2008. Tumaini Schools operates three private, English-language, non-profit schools with a combined enrollment of 1,100 students. The preschool and primary school are located in Karatu, two and a half hours from Arusha. The secondary school (TSSS) is located in Makuyuni, an hour west of Arusha. The oldest of the schools, Tumaini Junior, is a K-7 school, opened in 2004, and its graduates consistently rank in the top 1% among Tanzania’s 15,000 primary schools.
All the schools recruit primarily from families residing in the local area. TEC raises funds for major school construction projects at all three campuses and provides financial aid to Tumaini students through its Sponsorship Program. TEC has also supported the development of libraries, computer programming labs and special project-based learning courses.
TEC is looking for a full-time Program Director to join our team based in Tanzania. Main responsibilities include overseeing our secondary school library, managing a reading program at our secondary school and assisting with our special project-based learning courses in the graphic novel and English language. In addition, the Program Director will assist the Sponsorship Director with coordinating and conducting visitor tours, including student groups. This position requires strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the ability to work across all levels of the organization. .
• Oversee library at Tumaini Senior Secondary School. Train older students and teachers to help with monitoring of library during open hours. No library experience required, we will train.
• Work with Tanzanian teachers to design and implement reading programs that support slower readers, encourage students to read more challenging books, and generally promote a reading culture at the school.
• Help teach a graphic novel class and English grammar classes.
• Assist with a variety of digital platforms that include the TEC website, social media, and email newsletters with goal to increase TEC brand awareness.
• Work collaboratively with our librarian at the primary school to ensure cohesion and cooperation between the two libraries. Help at the primary school library 1 or 2 days per week.
• Level of Language Proficiency
• Fluent in English required, knowledge of Kiswahili a plus but not required.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience in East Africa is a plus.
• Highly collaborative style; ability to create relationships with staff, volunteers, and people from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• Must be willing and able to adapt to Tanzania’s culture
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Sincere commitment to TEC mission
Main responsibilities include overseeing our secondary school library, managing a reading program at our secondary school and assisting with our special project-based learning courses in the graphic novel and English language.
Tunachagua tunavyovipenda na tunakutumia bidhaa moto moto kila wiki!!