VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
The volunteer will support the process of conducting a Social Exclusion and Gender Analysis (SEGA) for the project, related to reproductive health and family planning; specifically around ensuring the project approach is adapted to reach the and meet the needs of the most marginalized for example the poorest of the poor, people with disabilities, young women; and engaging men and boys in family planning. The volunteer will be responsible for embedding (mainstreaming) inclusion and gender in the project and proactively provide technical support, coaching and capacity building to VSO staff, volunteers and project partners.
If you are passionate about making a positive change to gender equality and leaving no social groups behind, you are the ideal candidate!
Skills, qualifications and experience
Bachelor, or preferably Master's Degree in research or social studies;
• A minimum of 5 years relevant experience
• Experience in conducting large survey / assessments (data collection, validation, entry and analysis), leading field team in implementing assessments
• Experience in reviewing current development programmes and identifying areas for improvement related to SIG
• Affinity with and preferably expertise in gender and exclusion issues in developing countries
• Experience of designing and implementation of gender and inclusion mainstreaming strategy
• Proven coaching and mentoring skills
• Teamwork, with the ability to work collaboratively in diverse multi-cultural groups
• Fluent in English and Swahili; with the ability to communicate with different stakeholders on different levels within organisations (written and oral)
• Flexible to work long hours during field work
• Experience in SIG issues related to reproductive health
NOTE:This is national Volunteer role, not eligible for Eligible for International Applicants.
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
The volunteer will support the process of conducting a Social Exclusion and Gender Analysis (SEGA) for the project
Learn about new items, custom picked just for you.
Notification for member sales, events and promotions.