The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) works around the world to enhance capacity of governments, Regional and District Health Management Teams to improve quality of health services through targeted technical assistance, systems development & strengthening, and institutionalization of quality improvement initiatives. In Tanzania UMB works through its affiliate, Maryland Global Initiatives Tanzania (MGIT) a nonprofit organization.
UMB - Tanzania has received funding from the United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to provide Targeted Technical Assistance to Local Clinical Partners (LCIP) and Regional Health Management Teams (RHMTs) for Implementation of Comprehensive HIV Care, Treatment, and Support Programs in the United Republic of Tanzania.
TITLE: Laboratory Services Technical Advisor
REPORTS TO: Technical Director
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam
MGIT is looking for a qualified Laboratory Services Technical Advisor to provide technical leadership in the laboratory section specifically in Care and Treatment programs that ensures the RHMT and LCIP are capable to provide quality Laboratory services as indicated in the Ministry of Health and Donor’s guidelines.
The Laboratory Technical Advisor will be the key person to lead the design and implementation of UMB Tanzania laboratory portion of technical assistance that ensures the component is implemented at a high-quality level.
• Provide technical inputs in the development of local partner’s laboratory work plans and support their implementation
• Conducts Gap analysis and prepares corrective measures in Laboratory component of HIV service delivery
• Analyses laboratory reports of LCIP, identifies underperforming areas and prepares QI approaches to respond in close collaboration with the CQI Advisor.
• Evaluates program effectiveness, implementing corrective action procedures on real-time basis
• Develop innovative solutions to assist partners and local government authorities to ensure successful implementation and adherence to Ministry of Health Guidelines and Protocols for Laboratory Quality Management Establish and maintain good working relationship with appropriate government institutions, other donor supported programs and participate in activities related to laboratory services
• Present regular reports to the Tanzania Country Management Team (CMT) on the state of LCIP laboratory services portfolio.
• Defines, develops, executes and continually updates the strategic plan for the country team. Adjusts strategic goals, work plans and operations as projects are added to and/or completed.
• Design and lead project initiatives to support PEPFAR goals of attaining HIV identification, ART coverage and viral suppression targets
• Design and lead project initiatives to scale up access and use of MoH essential package of services as well as other key health priorities identified by the Donor.
• Coordinates provision of technical assistance to the Local Clinical Partners & Regional Health management teams and identifies and solicits technical resources from different departments within the country office and UMB Headquarters
• Reviews deliverables for completeness, accuracy, and continuous quality improvement.
• Participates in the development of the project strategic and operational plans and oversees the development and successful implementation of the annual work plans.
• Assist in data management and analysis, review and interpretation of country program results, and development and review of reports and technical publications
• Manages the development, review and finalization of quarterly and annual project work plans; monitors progress towards targets and addresses bottlenecks in meeting project milestones
• Any other duty as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent, Medical degree with Master’s degree in Microbiology, Parasitology will be an added advantage, related field, or equivalent experience is preferred
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing PEPFAR funded projects; an experience working with RHMTs and local implementing partners will be an added advantage.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate with a variety of collaborators, including national level managers, donors, technical assistance organizations and NGOs
• At least 5 years of experience working in a medical diagnostic laboratory setting which has TB & HIV testing services
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing successful training and supervisory systems as well as direct supervision experience.
• Ability to work with Microsoft Office software, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Experience with HIV Viral load, CD4 Machines, GeneXpert
• Experiences with Laboratory Information Systems and Lab Quality Assurance
• Strong Organizational and communication Skill
• Experience with CDC funded projects highly desirable
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili
UMB seeks to hire a qualified candidate for the position of a Laboratory Services Technical Advisor
Learn about new items, custom picked just for you.
Notification for member sales, events and promotions.