Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 7 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House seeks a Technical Director for an anticipated five-year project in Tanzania on Data Driven Advocacy. This project, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development, will improve and sustain Tanzanian civil society’s ability to advocate for, and influence policy on, key national-level issues.
The Technical Director will work in close collaboration with the Chief of Party (CoP) and other staff to provide strategic and technical input to the project. S/he will be responsible for program implementation and overseeing the quality and accuracy of technical interventions and results conducted under the project. The Technical Director will carefully monitor and evaluation all programming to ensure that women/youth inclusion and engagement are core aspects of the project. This position is based in Dar es Salaam and reports to the Chief of Party in Tanzania.
Note: This position is contingent on funding.
• Responsible for strategic and technical inputs of the project;
• Represent the project with USAID/Tanzania, Government of Tanzania (GoT), other donors, and key stakeholders as assigned;
• Effectively address problems and challenges that may arise during project performance with the project’s CoP;
• Responsible for timely and accurate delivery of all reports and other program products;
• Responsible for the quality, cost, and timeliness of performance of all work performed under the project;
• Monitor and evaluate processes, and write program reports to ensure completion of project objectives;
• Ensure compliance with donor regulations;
• Network and liaise with consultants, members of governments, civil society organizations, international and regional bodies, and private funders;
• Develop advocacy initiatives to support human rights in Tanzania;
• Required to travel to project sites within the region;
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in international development, rule of law, public policy, political science, public administration, human rights, or any other social sciences relevant to the project;
• At least 8 years of senior-level experience in programming related to human rights, evidence-based advocacy, and coalition building;
• Demonstrated experience working on youth and/or gender programming, preferred;
• Demonstrated experience in managing partner sub-grants;
• Demonstrated experience in managing M&E systems including target setting, data collection, and reporting
• Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in building and maintaining productive working relationships with a wide network of institutional partners and stakeholders, including host governments, civil society partners, and donors;
• Fluency in English oral communication and strong writing skills are required;
• Working-level fluency in spoken and written Kiswahili preferred;
• Experience in challenging environments and flexibility to apply lessons learned from other contexts;
• Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations, and other donor approaches to civil society development;
• Demonstrated financial management experience including preparing and managing budgets, contracts, and negotiations, and subgrant management;
• Ability to use productivity software such as MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint; and Microsoft Excel.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
• Office located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
• Frequent travel within East and Horn of Africa and occasional travel to the U.S.
EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS
• General office equipment including, but not limited to: personal computer, telephones, facsimile machines, calculator and photocopier
Learn about new items, custom picked just for you.
Notification for member sales, events and promotions.