No matter how careful we are, accidents happen, and our beloved phones can end up at the bottom of a swimming pool, puddle or toilet sink. While there are many developments in mobile technology, an affordable waterproof phone is not yet on the market. So until then, here is how to save your phone the next time it ends up in water.
1. Don’t panic. Just take the phone out of the water as soon as you can
2. Lay the phone on a soft cloth or a paper towel and remove the battery cover and battery (only if you can open your phone)
3. Also remove other components such as SIM card, memory card, protective covers and phone cases and let them air dry.
4. Dry the inside of the phone with a soft cloth or paper towel – make sure you remove the water as soon and quickly as you can. You can also use a vacuum cleaner (if you have one) to remove the water and this method is recommended for phones that can’t be opened.
5. Heard of the rice method? At this point is when you can let your phone dry in moisture absorbent substances such as uncooked rice and desiccant silica gels. Let the phone dry for at least 24 hours.
6. Check all the compartments such as the charging port and headphone jack if they are dry. If not then you can repeat step 4 and 5 until dry.
7. After 24 hours attempt to switch on the phone and assess if it is functioning properly.
It may be time to seek out a professional
If all of the above doesn’t work then corrosion and bigger electrical damage may have been caused by the water. In this case, go to your phone’s authorized dealer or a trusted electronic repair shop and they may be able to fix it.
However, prevention is always better than a cure, so make sure to invest in a water resistant or waterproof protective phone case to reduce the likelihood of it getting wet in the future.